Labels

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day 9 -- Goodbye Tokushima, hello Kōchi

Total distance: ~20 km (booooooooo)

Ikumi beach!
Well, my introduction to Kōchi prefecture has been a beautiful one. Today’s route took me almost invariably down Route 55, which happens to run along a series of cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

As soon as I crossed over the prefectural line I was greeted by a beach called Ikumi, which apparently is a big spot for surfers. Even though the weather was quite cold this morning I could see plenty of people in their wet suits grabbing the first waves of the day. It was pretty cool. The family running the minshuku I stayed at told me that they often house people in town for surfing competitions. Pretty cool.

Yesterday I attempted to book a night at a place a little further south from here, but as it turns out they were full. I wanted to walk around 25 km today but the only place that was open was about 20 km away. So today was a pretty short day. Arrived at the place at 1:00 actually.

The Road™
Maybe that’s a good thing. My feet need the rest. Especially because I have a pretty long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Tomorrow, the plan is to hit 24 and 25, staying somewhere near 25. That’s going to be about 25 km all said and done, which is not so bad except that the road up to and down from 24 is pretty mountainous. I’m going to be hurting tomorrow.

I often see people decades older than me booking it down the road, making way better time than me. I wonder how much training they’ve done. Even on a fairly flat trail, at 20 km it feels like my feet are going to fall off.

Maybe I should wear a second pair of socks tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment