Labels

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Month-Long Cold

I'm admittedly new to this whole being-a-teacher thing. Before I started teaching them, I was sure I hated children. They were noisy, annoying, smelly, and essentially walking germ factories.

Then I started teaching them, and I realized that working with small children is one of the most rewarding and fun jobs I've ever had in my life. I realized that little kids and the way they see the world are awesome. However, I also realized I was right about the other stuff too. Especially the germ thing.

STEEL YOURSELVES
I've been told that a good number of people at my work, when they started, had a cold that lasted for close to a month. Originally, I figured I'd dodged a bullet since I hadn't been particularly sick for a good half-year after I started. But now that the weather is changing (or rather, has changed) I've come down with a cold that just refuses to go away.

I guess you have to build up a bunch of specific antibodies for the special sorts of viruses and bacteria four-year-olds manage to collect on a daily basis. And admittedly I have never had a job where the people at work will walk up and bite me on the arm or cough and sneeze directly into my unprepared face.

I guess on the plus side, after I'm finished teaching, my immune system is going to truly be that: immune. I can't think of another job I could possibly have where I'd be subject to the sheer quantity of disease I face on a daily basis here.

They are cute, though. At least being sick means I can't smell 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment